SOURCEBOOK will receive a major update in April 2022. This update will include a full redesign of the toolkit to make the data more accessible, visually distinct, and easier to download and share. New data dashboards and other additional upgrades will follow throughout 2022.
Be sure to subscribe to our email list to be the first notified when SOURCEBOOK is updated.
Understanding Housing Needs
HousingForward Virginia offers Sourcebook as a comprehensive housing affordability resource that includes the most current available information on housing affordability. The measures highlighted here provide a benchmark of general affordability over time and illustrate the complexities of affordability. Sourcebook is intended to stimulate discussion on affordability and expose housing affordability issues.
Most recent data: 2020 Q3
Housing Affordability Index
- Housing Affordability Index – 80% AMI
- Housing Affordability Index – 60% AMI
- Housing Affordability Index – 50% AMI
- Housing Affordability Index – 30% AMI
Housing + Commuting Affordability Index
- Housing + Commuting Affordability Index – Median
- Housing + Commuting Affordability Index – 80% AMI
- Housing + Commuting Affordability Index – 60% AMI
Housing Cost vs. Income
- Housing/Income Characteristics by Year
- Affordability of For-Sale Housing for Median Owners/Renters
- Affordability of Rental Housing for Median Owners/Renters
- Cost Burden: Households Paying More than 30% for Housing
- 30% of Median Income vs. Housing Cost
- Housing Price Index
- Median Gross Rent by Year
- Median Family Income by Year
Other Affordability Measures
- Residential Building Permits
- Mortgage Volume and Amount by Year
- Volume of Home Sales by Year
- Median Sales Price
- Number of Assisted Rental Units
- Assisted Rental Housing Needs
- Paycheck to Paycheck: Housing Affordability by Job Category
- Personalized Commuting Cost
- Economic Impact Calculator for Residential Renovation
- Economic Impact Calculator for Residential New Construction
- Affordability Calculator: What Can You Afford?
- Compare Housing Characteristics by City/County
The data contained in SOURCEBOOK is intended for informational, educational and research uses. The information may not be used for commercial purposes or re-marketed. Any reproduction and distribution of this information must clearly identify HousingForward Virginia and SOURCEBOOK as the provider of the information.